An Educated Guide To Summer 2016


Is it always this busy in Summer?

The EU Referendum, Brighton Fringe Festival, Father’s day, The Euros and The Olympics (that one’s really crept up on me). I’ll start at the beginning and let you know what I think.

The EU

No, they’re not just my favourite vowels.

I have been doing my research. Of course, every vote counts and I really want to make an informed decision before casting my ballot. It’s really frustrating that we’re fed so much misinformation and conflicting reports. It seems every major news outlet is subtly or not so subtly feeding an underlying agenda or affiliation with either side.

It almost feels like we’re deliberately overloaded with facts, figures, jargon and spokesperson interviews to intimidate us! Everything I have read or researched thus far supports my decision. I made my mind up back in October and even wrote about the case for remaining in the EU. If anyone knows of anywhere with truly unbiased facts and figures that would help those that haven’t made up their minds yet, do let me know so that I can share. I’ll see you all at the polls!

Brighton Fringe

It’s becoming something of a big deal nowadays; it’s steadily risen from the local summer festival to one of the largest and fastest growing arts festivals in the UK. My little seaside town isn’t feeling so little any more. For those of you who don’t know Brighton, the Fringe festival pretty much sums it up. Everything from Cabaret to puppet shows. Eclectic, vibrant, quirky, bohemian, synonyms


Fringe is pretty much nothing like you have ever experienced. If it’s been thought of by a Brightonian whilst simultaneously filing their taxes, it’s a ticketed Fringe event at your local church hall. I can’t recommend it enough. Take a look at what’s on at Brighton Fringe this year.

Father’s Day

I am still sticking to my original plan I conjured last week in my ‘What I’ve Planned for Father’s Day’ post. The idyllic, leisurely bike ride along the South Downs I wrote about in great depth seems to have flown under the radar of my father during his continued disinterest in my blog. Him not being a fan is really paying dividends at this point. It’ll be a cracking surprise.

I mentioned it briefly last time, but I still haven’t decided what to get him as a material gift. I mean, Father’s day gifts are always notoriously deadly to decide on. I remember getting my Father the most boring objects one could ever receive in wrapping paper. Or so I thought…

As I have grown up, I have started to see his side of things. I can finally see why he gets so happy over the most menial gifts. I have come to the conclusion that…

A pair of socks is the ultimate gift for any man.

  •  They’re warm
  •   They’re really warm
  • They let everyone know your favourite Star Wars characters
  •  They protect ankles from all things shin height and sharp
  •  The best ones even function as calendars for your feet



I’ll definitely be sorting something out on the side for him though, he’d definitely love a quadcopter I reckon.

The Euros

I feel it’s just this week become acceptable to start flying the St Georges cross in your garden without being mistaken for an EDL supporter, the Euros really are that close. Not that it would ever apply to me, that. I’ll confess my indifference to international football matches from the get-go, which means no flag flying of any sort for me! Being a Seagull fanatic (Brighton football club for all you casuals) has broken my heart this season with our missed promotion to the Premier League. I’m not quite sure I’m ready to see another 90 minutes of football any time soon.


That being said - I make the same excuse every time an international tournament happens, and every time I’ll be dragged along to the pub in my finest ENG-ER-LAND shirt to cheer along another “promising, young” and ultimately unsuccessful squad. The vicious cycle continues.

The Olympics
I do enjoy the Olympics as a form of sporting entertainment. There are some incredible athletes and even more incredible underdog performances. There’s a very different vibe surrounding the UK at the Olympics and England at the Euros or World Cup. 

Everyone, regardless of their differences joins together to support team GB! It really shows how brilliant Britain is together when we’re not arguing individually with each other as separate nations. The sheer number of events alone, significantly increases spectator involvement. But it seems the Olympic mania that sweeps the nation every four years is not the only infectious thing going around!

What on earth is going on? For the life of me I can’t fathom how the event hasn’t been called to a halt. With the social and economic issues that currently affect Brazil aside; there’s an epidemic outbreak of the Zika virus?

I’d imagine the Olympics is the largest migration of spectators and athletes during any four-year period. Surely it can’t go ahead, with all things considered.

Admittedly, I have seen the WHO’s latest report ‘Regarding the Olympics and Zika Virus’ – “Based on the current assessment, cancelling or changing the location of the 2016 Olympics will not significantly alter the international spread of the Zika virus.” Personally, I think if there’s any doubt in the first place – or a disease outbreak requires the WHO to comment on it so publically then it’s a cause for concern.

Rant over
All in all, it’s set to be a summer to remember. Hopefully the weather will be similar to the two or three days of solid heatwave we had back in April. Unfortunately, I did not make it out to the beach as much as I’d have liked during that brief spell, I hope the weather can pull It together for at least another two or three days. I’d hate for Autumn weather to come around mid-July again as it so often does. With all things considered, and if all things go well - Brighton really is the place to be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Moments with Hot Air Balloon Rides

How To Throw the Ultimate Uni House Party

Staycation: Embracing the Sun in the UK