The Changing of the Seasons: How I Get in the Mood for Autumn



It cannot be denied that so far in 2018 and we have been provided with two somewhat extreme versions of weather here in the UK. Earlier in the year we were gripped by the now infamous Beast from the East, which even extended as far south as London, and actually compelled commuters to avert their eyes from their smartphones and gaze up in wonderment at the sky.

Sadly though, us Brightonians had to make do with our usual half-day of sleet, while enviously having to see endless photos of idyllic scenes presented to us by the media.

However, those of us living by the sea got our revenge in the summer, and were treated to spending endless days lazing on the beach, boozing, swimming and firing up BBQs, while at the same time trying to dissipate relentless attacks from the local seagull population.

Yes, 2018 provided us with the pleasure of enjoying the joint-hottest summer ever this year in the UK, and it was a jolly good (but overdue) one it has to be said!

However, as we welcome in the end of September, those long afternoons on the beach fade into our distant memories and the beach mats put away until next year. As the air begins to get a touch colder and the British rains gets more and more relentless, we are now commencing the yearly process of digging out our coats and jackets as we welcome in my favourite season, Autumn.

It is not only our fashion choices that change, but also our lifestyles; after weekends spent lounging around on the beach, I now embrace the rolling hills of the South Downs and get reacquainted with my local countryside on the crisp and chillier mornings.

However, in order to get myself in the autumnal mood, here are some of my favourite pastimes to get me in the perfect mood for my favourite season.

Image Source: https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2017/10/13/15/29/black-coffee-2847957__340.jpg

Swapping a Cold One for a Hot One

After long drawn out summer days on the beach where a couple of ales tended to turn into eight, I have always tended to look forward to spending long-afternoons in my local coffee-shop. This is usually because I am able to spend more time updating my humble blog, which I am ashamed to say tends to get somewhat neglected over the summer, while supping on spiced-pumpkin lattes and watching the word go by.

However, following on from the devastating news that spiced Pumpkin lattes exceed your daily sugar allowance, I will be trying to be kinder to my waistline and reverting back to my usual café’s delicious range of organic tea, while trying to resist their tempting range of cakes and biscuits. After learning that is a great way of boosting brain power, I don’t need too much encouragement to make the shift!

Image Source: https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2017/04/07/16/47/interview-2211354__340.jpg

New Threads

As I have grown older I have started to pay more attention to my clothes and no-longer throw together whatever first comes to hand upon opening my wardrobe. Now I actually pay attention to items and colours that complement each other. Personally, I find that Autumn is an ideal time to take stock of my current items of clothing and take those that I no longer require to my local charity shop.

As someone who used to avoid shopping like the plague, I now look forward to this annual event, especially as it provides me with the opportunity to treat myself and stock-up on cosy clothing that will see me through for the rest of the year and into the next. If I am lucky then the event will coincide with the first cold weekend of October and there will be clear, unbroken sun for that extra added Autumnal effect.

This year though, I must admit that it feels like I have gone back in time and am reliving my teenage years as the 90’s trends seems to have resurfaced and I see teenagers wearing my old Adidas Poppers tracksuit trousers.

Even better though, I recently saw that the Gallagheresque bucket hat seems to be coming back into fashion, wasn’t it bad enough the first-time round?

Image Source: https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2017/12/26/21/00/crust-roast-3041399__340.jpg


The Return of the Roast

Over the summer months we tend to neglect that one thing that we do so much better than other countries, the roast dinner! It’s a British staple that just doesn’t get the attention it deserves over the summer.

Whether you are a dab-hand in the kitchen and enjoy hosting for friends on a Sunday, or if you prefer to seek out a pub in the countryside and spend your afternoon sampling the local guest ales and dining on your roast of choice by the fire, the return of the roast is something that we can all look forward to. It also lets you think ahead and get in practise for all of your Christmas eating later on in the year!

For the month of October though, each year I try to combine my love of walking with my roast-outings. I will either walk along the seafront at Brighton towards the quaint village of Rottingdean that boasts several pubs to choose from, each with some excellent options, or I will venture over the hills of Devil’s Dyke and feel lucky to live in one of the UK’s most beautiful locations.

Obviously, within a couple of hours the idea of striding off over the hills is the last thing on my mind, and the familiar allure of the sofa will return, allowing me to return to what I do best – long Sunday afternoons watching the football!


Comments

  1. Thanks for such a fantastic blog. Where else could anyone get that kind of info written in such a perfect way? staff rota software
    workforce management softwareI have a presentation that I am presently writhing on, and I have been on the look out for such great information.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Moments with Hot Air Balloon Rides

How To Throw the Ultimate Uni House Party

Staycation: Embracing the Sun in the UK